Thursday, May 23, 2013

And I couldn't spell "Sasquatch."

During my morning Facebook constitution a friend posted a rather dramatic photo from a "raccoon cam" of a bear. She said it was from her cousin's camera, but I'm not exactly sure. Could just be one of those things that float around the Internet that may or may not be real.


Everyone made bear comments and I made one regarding another favorite camera shy wood creature, Big Foot. I wanted to spell "Sasquatch," but it was the morning and I believe I am slowly losing the ability to spell and typed, "SasKWATCH." 

My friend who posted is also an editor and suffers from that disease where you can't stand typos and must correct them. I love my friends and many of them suffer this affliction. I used to be one of them, but now that I have this disease that is causing my loss of the ability to spell, I'm much more sympathetic to those who have suffered their entire lives. 

Whatever. 

But, I was reminded of a favorite family rodee' when we stopped at the Big Foot Discovery Museum in Felton, California. 

Near Big Basin and on the way to Santa Cruz if you're driving down from the San Francisco Bay Area, this little shack was crammed with the best Big Foot kitsche imaginable. (How do you spell "kitsche")? And where does the ? go?



You walk in and are immediately bombarded with tabloid photos, lunch boxes, toys, and even the Beastie Boys. We paid extra for the tour and were treated to an amazing presentation on the elusive Big Foot complete with first-hand tracking accounts and recorded sounds of the creature in the wild. Our only sightings were the famous Big Foot film that everyone has seen on a continuous loop. Well worth the tour. That guy had us believing or at least pleasantly entertained. 

Our children were less than impressed.




Exploring the little town of Felton lead us to Rocky's Cafe. Great service in a rustic cabin-like place. The food was great, too.


After lunch, we let the kids run around in the big park at Felton. Lot's of open space and this fabulous covered bridge. 



So, if you're ever headed over the The Mystery Spot or the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and the weather is really crappy, head over to the Big Foot Discovery Museum until the fog burns off.

No comments:

Post a Comment